Oct 25, 2006

Thursday Tech News & Commentary


Building a Better Battery>>>more
from Wired Magazine

Wouldn't we want the ultimate battery for our PDAs, our mp3 players, and especially our laptops. I go to the Barnes and Noble, Borders, St. Louis Bread Company restaraunts (everywhere else they are called Pantera Bread Company) some people are using their batteries for their laptops but most of us are searching for a free power outlet(admit it, you do...I know I do). Right now I work on some laptops that is considered dinosaurs. The killing part is when I finally do get around and buy new laptops I will still have the same problems...battery life.

Some of the laptops now have pretty good battery life but I don't believe they have reached the "8" hour mark and I understand why; unlike our mp3 players which really has one function, our laptops, PDAs are doing multiple functions at one time. Safety is a factor as well. Thank the Lord that no one has not been injured during these batteries having a melt down and even though it's a small number of batteries that has been defective, this is not good for Sony.

I have a 3rd generation iPod and the battery life in that puppy sucks big time. the longest it can go is maybe 8 hours (it's helps if I have the equalizer set for flat and why would I have it set that way, I want to hear every sound possible in songs because I listen to mostly instrumental tracks), I also have a mini 6GB mini ipod before the Nano was released. I really like that small mp3 player. The battery life is much better than my older iPod because of the technology. The new Nano are really nice because of the flash memory card which needs less energy because there is no hard drive which means no moving part inside. The article from CNet has many researchers trying to come up with the "ultimate" battery, which would be nice.

The laptops battery life I believe has been helped along by faster and better processors but more needs to be done and from this article they are hard at work but as always, there is not quick solution. I thank the Lord that we even have the technology to do what I'm able to do now. Hey if I haven't received my flying car by now I'm patient enough to wait for a better battery.

One thing that has been looked at is larger flash based so not only would it make the laptop lighter but less components moving meaning longer battery life but I believe that's down the road but for right now I will settle for a safer battery so you and I do not have to worry about not being able to carry our laptops on airplanes or having a picture taken of our laptop after exploding. Just give me a safer battery for now and I will be a happy camper.

Be Blessed,
Be Safe, &
Have a Great Day

more tech news: Mylo has potential, but it has holes, too, Blind Web surfers sue Target, Phones for That Other System

Christian wisdom: Haunting Sin, Caring for the Care Givers, Yielding

Christian & Tech netcast: The Priority of Peacemaking, dl.tv 103; False Premises of Retirement, Your Calls & Emails; NerdTV - Show 2 - Max Levchin

for headline news>>>click here

image: google image

No comments:

Post a Comment