Oct 19, 2006

Tech News for Thursday


Turning social network traffic
into dollars
>>>more

from CNet.com|News


Is it just me or does it seem that advertisers are invading every nook and cranny of our lives? I know commercials has been on the uprise and this is how most internet companies make their money, I have no problem with that, even on one of my favorite sites (Vox) you see banner ads and on my blog you see banner ads so why I am even writing this? It seems to me now advertisers are trying to really know everything and I do mean EVERYTHING about you and I.

I guess over the years of me using the web that I have come to block out the ads I see on Yahoo, Google, MSN. Maybe it's my age but I search the web the same way I go into a Target, Wal Mart or our local grocery stores...I know what I want...I go in, get my product(s) and come out. Maybe that's just me or maybe that's because lack of money who knows but the longer people are on the web I believe many of us became "smart consumers".

Years ago when I worked at a Pet food company we had a two day orientation and they taught the new employees how they target customers that come into grocery stores, discount stores on where to place their merchandise; which part of the store to shelve their items, it was pretty interesting. By placing a certain product in the back of store, that would make you and I walk through the store hoping to pick up "items" we really do not need...impulse purchases (this is why as parents we try our best not to take our children when it comes to shopping or just be stern and buy everything they pick up...grandparents on the other hand, that's another story).

These advertisements from the link above are targeted now more toward community groups, teenagers on the web and now even when you and I IM one another. I don't see them quite as often but when I would chat in Yahoo IM sometimes I would have ad bots just 'pop' up out of know where, if I was chatting about posters or even using some 'smiley' icon a ad would pop up about getting more emotional icons for your email or for your IM-ing. In open community sites I see this going on but not when I'm chatting private with someone.

The bottom line I guess comes back to choice, our choice. Just because we see advertisement does not mean we have go out and buy or 'click' the ad. Advertisers, love them or hate them, they are here to stay.

more tech news: Microsoft hopes 7 is lucky number for IE, Some iPods infected with virus, Internet Addictive, Study Says

christian thoughts: 20 Questions for Guiding Opposite-Sex Friendships in Marriage, Answers to Tough Questions, The Universal Thump

netcast for knowledge & wisdom: Let Me Hear You Say "Shibboleth", Engadget Podcast 91, With an Attitude of Contentment ( Part 1 )

image: allposters.com










No comments:

Post a Comment