Oct 6, 2006

Making Operation Systems Fun Again


Canonical seeks profit
from free Ubuntu>>>more
from CNet.com

A new, leaner open source OS (operating system) has the tech world abuzz..Ubuntu. A Linux based OS, which is free, has some people installing it on the secondary machine to get familiar with it(I have it installed on my old IBM Thinkpad 600E). The cool thing about Ubuntu was how smooth the installation went. I'm having problems getting it to recognize my sound card and I really have to sit and play around with this new OS (I tried to install Flash Player and it's not loading correctly). I know there is a fix for it, I just need to take time out to learn this new OS.

This is my first time using Linux and most hard core Linux user think, and which Ubuntu is, a more watered down version of Linux. Watered down or not, I like it because:

  • No worry about spyware, adware, viruses
  • It has OpenOffice (an office application suite...similar to Microsoft Office), Firefox (web browser), Gimp and other software built in where you would have buy individual applications when using Microsoft.
  • Many, many forums for help and support
  • It's free
  • Ubuntu makes learning computing fun again (like when I first got my first Mac)
  • oh...did I mention it's free
It has a long way to go no doubt but with the problems with Windows and the uncertainty with Vista (can't count out Vista just yet...I have learned over the years that sometime you have to have a little patience) but I hope Ubuntu is around for a while because like Apple, this OS has giving me a thirst for learning something new in the world of OS again.

other tech news: Google 'in talks to buy YouTube', Analysts split over Vista launch date, *Your Mac’s Best List Of Personal Notebooks

news from around the world: Deep in the galaxy, signs of Jupiter-like planets, FIREPROOF Bible Study, Instant-messaging conversations can easily linger for years

podcast for knowledge & wisdom: The Chris Pirillo Show; Crown Financials: Clergy Appreciation,Your Calls, Teach Your Children Well; What is the Gospel?


“Trust in the LORD forever, for the LORD, the LORD, is the Rock eternal.”- Isaiah 26:4

photo: google image

1 comment:

  1. DarrenKeith,

    The sound problem is a well-known issue with the TP 600E and Linux. Fortunately, there is a way to fix it.

    Check out my post on it here. In it there is a link to a bug in which the solution is summarised. Don't hesitate to contact me if you can't get it working.

    Regards

    Warren

    ReplyDelete