Aug 21, 2006

It's Only A Matter Of Time Before Apple Becomes Public Enemy #1


iTunes--->How Long Can
musicians Hold Out
>>>>more
story from CNN.com|Technology website

I have an iPod, I like my iPod, but I'm getting fed up with iTunes. True, the software is cool and very easy to use but what I really dislike about it is that if you lose your songs you have to pay for them again even though their database shows you have purchased the song.

I recently used eMusic. To me that's a pretty nice site for downloading music. Granted, their library is not as large as iTunes (it's only a matter of time I'm hoping that it will grow) but one thing I really dig about eMusic is that there are different tiers to sign up for to download music, their songs or albums are in different kps so say for example, you download a song from eMusic and the mp3 is 192kps, you can save the song and bumped down to 160kps or 128kps and still have the original download song at the original compression...with iTunes it's 128kps and that's it.

Another cool thing if you lose your song (which just recently I lost about 1,000 songs do to hard drive failure...yes I know, 'why didn't I back up the songs'..that's another story in itself) when I went to eMusic to download the songs I lost, I was able to download them at no charge, with iTunes you can't do that. I heard someone say that if Apple had the market as Microsoft has Apple would be worse, I believe it.

One thing I have learned over the years is that everyone has their time in the sun and with the downloadable music it's iTune's turn to shine but if Apple refuse to be flexible with the way we download music from their site it's only a matter of time before someone comes along and bump them off the top of the mountain.

Apple is going to slip from number one there is no doubt about it...but don't lose your spot because of the hatred of your company.

other tech articles: new york times, friendster finds funding, heads roll at aol

photo: google image

No comments:

Post a Comment