Aug 22, 2006


Arm Yourself Against
Malicious Sites
>>>>more
from the csmonitor.com website

Fighting the war against spyware, adware, and other pest software that try to cling to your computer is tougher than ever. Gone are the days of just having one anti-virus software to catch everything is long gone. Two ways to fight this is 1. Having more than one anti-spyware software, anti-virus software and 2. YOU the user

1. True, Ad-Aware by LavaSoft is a great free software tool to have but I also have Microsoft Defender and Webroot Spysweeper on my system as well. Spysweeper you have to purchase but hey, would you rather spend $30 or take your machine to a computer repair shop costing you about $100 or more...you do the math. I have my anti-spyware software check my computers when I'm sleeping (and Spysweeper and Defender have real time running in the background) and I have them run a couple of hours behind one another. I also have AVG anti-virus

2. YOU...the user. Leo Laporte, John C. Dvorak, Chris Pirillio, my buddies Luis, Javier and a sleuth of computer gurus will tell you...watch what sites you click on...period. Go to trusted sites like download.com, sourceforge.com and there are other good sites to download software. Places like limewire, kaaza are a big, and I mean a BIG no no (noticed I didn't even put them as links) these sites are loaded with spyware, adware, Trojan horses. Many of peer-to-peer sites you should not download software from because it may hurt you in the end.

Also when a pops up ad appears on your screen saying, 'you are unprotected' or any pop up ad of that nature...DO NOT CLICK ON IT!!!! Do not click on links within a email unless you know that person because he or she know the site well. If there is a link, copy and paste it in another browser window.

And finally, you may have heard me say this time and time again...don't use Internet Explorer, use Mozilla Firefox. I'm not saying that Firefox is bullet proof but compared to IE, surfing the web with Firefox is far more safer.

The web is a cool place to use, to surf but with the good will come the bad...be proactive and not reactive. software running as well. I have a firewall enable on our router. It's a shame you have to have this on your computer but I have had to reformat my entire hard drive and that is not fun. Reloading applications, running Windows update...it takes up time (sometime a day or two).

DarrenKeith

tech news & Christian articles: family life facts, bob Dylan: technology sucks, may i say...

photo:google image

No comments:

Post a Comment