Feb 24, 2007

devotion & reflections for the weekend February 24th-25


The New Religion>>>more
devotional reading from our daily bread

I don't understand rich people...why are they so unhappy? I am not saying money is evil, far from that, like Zig Ziglar always says, "Money ain't everything...but it's the next best thing to oxygen...I mean when you need it you really need it." I'm not saying that money solves all problems because what I have learned for myself, if you not "Christ centered" you really have nothing. In a way I guess I do know the answer but it still makes me wonder, why are rich folks so unhappy?

If they want to just get up and travel to another state or another country they can. If they wish to shop they can and by just about whatever they want whenever they want. Check out the people in Hollywood, what is their problem? It's just amazing how they could do just about whatever they want and still most get divorced, sleep around, in and out of rehab. Whatever they want the can have but they turn to drugs, alcohol, millions of dollars in therapy sessions. I mean, they should be having the times of their lives. The Oscars are coming on this Sunday and the only thing I can think of are the cool swag bag they are going to receive (I know it's sad on my part...do I pay attention to the clothing, the movie stars, no...I'm thinking about the gadgets they are going to receive...oh well, life of a geek). I know even after the awards and after party some of them will still go home depressed, unhappy, unfulfilled...why?

I remember back in 2000 I was security lobby officer at a fortune 500 company how I would see so many of the workers come in and would be and look so unhappy. Their attitudes would be so nasty sometimes and I could not understand why? Everyone has bad days, we all have them. But some of them were just miserable every day. Their salaries were really nice, the building where I worked was pretty cool, most of the offices were loft and the set up was sweet but for the most part, they would walk past my desk, half speak(when they locked their keys in their vehicle or had a flat tire I was their best friend for a short time) but for the most part attitudes just nasty. Were the employees like these? Not at all.

I remember the CEO of Ralston Purina at the time, now this guy had to be the most humble man I saw. The only regret I have was not asking him why he was so humble and how could I achieve what he has done. I was not looking for handout but just some guidelines on how to obtain some financial secure, how to keep a level head when you have made to the top of your field. Each employee when passing my desk would have to show their employee badge and Mr. McGinnis had no problem do that. Even if his hands were full, he would stop, set his items down and pull out his employee badge, show that million-dollar smile and go on his merry way. Was he a Christian I do not know but I do know he was very kind, always spoke, and always had a kind word to say to you, always humble. I can read people pretty good and this was genuine. Some people you know when they are shooting you bull but not Mr. McGinnis. I'm not saying he was a saint but just a very kind man.

I remember when I first gave my life to the Lord and Mr. Cleo Horton told me a book to read in the Bible, Ecclesiastes. When I first began reading it I thought, "man King Solomon is one depressed dude...sheesh!" Then from out of now where the Holy Spirit opened up my mind and understanding and told me, "This is what it's like when you can have everything you ever want and if you do not have Me (God) at the center of your life, it's all emptiness". Wow...that did for me. This is what King Solomon saying, “Everything is meaningless,” says the Teacher, “completely meaningless!”(Ecclesiastes 1:2).

Now I am not saying that we all have to be paupers in order to be happy, if that's the case Solomon would not have been the wisest, richest man in the world. What I am saying is that everything has it's place. They is nothing wrong with having money, being rich, being famous, being successful. God wants you and to enjoy life to the fullest but to put everything in it's place. He have given you and I principles, guidelines to live by and in the end they are for our best at heart. One pastor has said the book of Proverbs is the "Book of Wisdom" where as Ecclesiastes is the "Book of living foolishly" I am getting a second chance at life. I will begin school soon, I am going after what God has placed in me to do with my life. It's going to be challenging, it's going to hit some speed bumps from time to time but deep down it's going to be fun.

What I take from the rich and famous is this: love Jesus Christ first, family second, career third. Take care of you business always, keep your affairs(will, paying bills, savings, investment) in order, love life, treat people the way you wish to be treated, always keep learning, if you don't want people to know your business...don't put it out there, seek God in everything you do, keep your eyes on Him always as King Solomon said if you do that...

"Never let loyalty and kindness leave you!
Tie them around your neck as a reminder.
Write them deep within your heart.
Then you will find favor with both God and people,
and you will earn a good reputation."

~proverbs 3:3-4


Be Blessed,
Be Safe, & as always
Have a Wonderful Weekend

~DarrenKeith

Praying For Our Children
Christian Embassy Church

A Servant's Heart

"God help my children develop servants' hearts, that they may serve wholeheartly."

Ephesians 6:7


messages from oneplace.com:

tech news for Saturday:

podcasts for today:

image:allposters.com

No comments:

Post a Comment