Mar 26, 2008

Devotion, Laundry, Scripture, and Dr. Charles Stanley


This morning I did something that I have to admit I have not done in 2 months...get into God's word the way I should. This morning after Z went to work I made our bed, washed our dishes, grabbed the bag of dirty laundry Z separated last night, headed downstairs to our laundry facility and washed. Afterwards I came upstairs and opened the Our Daily Bread devotional book and read something that spoke to my heart, Honest Doubts. We all have them from time to time when it comes to Christ Jesus. As I was reading this it struck me that how come at times people can believe in life in another galaxy but can't believe Jesus Christ did not rise from his grave in 3 days? How come when it comes to worldly things we can believe whole heartily but when it comes to Christ "that's impossible" many will say?

Even before I truly gave my life to Christ, just looking out at nature, seeing images and pictures of our solar system for me it had to be a creator the did this? How our body is created, from the tiniest of insects to different birds, animals, reptiles, how can't believe this all just happened just by chance. For me it's amazing how we think we are so in control of our own lives and in an instant it can change. I mean at this moment while writing this I can just "drop dead". But one thing I am sure of is that if I do just "drop dead" I know where I will be...with my heavenly father.

Honest Doubts from rbc ministries

It amazing how many people believe that once you die that it. Many people may not admit it but I know it creeps in their mind at times what really happens to you when you die. And once you are gone just think, you're going for eternity and for me that is something I am not willing to take a chance but that my friends is for a very, very, very long time. And I will say this to my atheist and agnostic friends...what if there is a God and once you are gone and you have not giving your life to Christ, what then? Do you honest think there are "do overs"? He gives us that chance every day while we are six feet above ground.

We all have doubts from time to time, God knows this...he created us. We have doubts, fears, we feel anger, sadness but what I have grown to love about him that I can come to Him with anything and I do mean ANYTHING. People may crack jokes about most Christians but for me that's okay be being a follower of Christ gives me so much freedom to know that by honoring him, loving him, coming to him in time of sorrow and happiness he guides my footsteps on what to watch out for, who to let into my life, who to deal with a "long handle spoon" so to speak and who not to allow in my life period.

Maybe people think that when you accept Christ as your Lord and Savior that all fun is zapped out of your life? I beg to differ. My queen and I recognized that one of the first thing you received is "unnecessary drama" in our life. Now noticed what I said, I say "unnecessary drama", I did not say that our lives are drama or pain free. My way of thinking is that we all are going to have troubles in our lives from time to time but what is better. Having troubles that you did not cause on yourself and having a wonderful God to help you through those times are having those troubles plus situations that we put ourselves in...for me that's double the work and I hate to work for no reason at all.

Another cool thing today was reading Proverbs Chapter 26. I have to admit, I need to really begin reading a chapter a day. There is no excuse for me not to because the book of Proverbs alone is a wonderful guide for one's life. Chapter 26 is a really good read because it teaches you how to deal with foolish people. While reading that chapter I realized that racism has been the world problem since the beginning of time. It has been here and it will continue to be here. That does not mean I roll over and just accept it but at the same time I will not allow to be a victim of this act of hatred. We live in a fallen world. When Eve and Adam took of the forbidden fruit every known sin crept into our world. Proverbs 26 teaches you to pick and choose your debates, your battles.

One other thing I have not done in a while was to sit still and allow God to speak to me, rather just in silence, or through the wonderful podcasts I download from Dr. Charles Stanley. I would get on my beautiful wife's case about turning on the television and began watching the news and for the past two months that is what I have down when it has come to the primaries. Today was the first time I can honestly say in a while that I started my day on a positive note. No news from the television...just listening to God speak to me, washing the dishes, emptying the trash, washing, drying our clothes, listening to 2 wonderful podcast from Dr. Charles Stanley, "A Fresh Encounter With God". It's amazing how one can let God's goodness slip from you little by little and before you know you begin to think that you have drifted from him so far that you can not come back to him. That my friend is a lie straight from hell. This 2 podcasts has let me know that when I slip from Christ I should be convicted and not condemned. While the clothes were washing I went outside and just sat on a bench by the pond and just let Dr. Stanley's words refresh my spirit to get me back on the right track to what is really important...listening and obeying God. I have to be truly honest, when I have completely turned everything over to him I have allows come out on top. Listening to his sermon let me know I have allowed the wrong thing to run my life.

We all get into a funk every now and then but one thing I can say, it's wonderful to be able to come back into God's fold so he can let you see that when He runs your life he's not keeping fun from me but allowing me to have the best fun ever without having regrets down the road.

Be Blessed, Be Safe
and Have a Wonderful Day.

Messages from Dr. Charles Stanley

No comments:

Post a Comment