Nov 20, 2009

happy with Windows 7 and neat little software apps



I remember being away from computers for a couple of years (my computers were Commodore 64 and 128), I was going to get an Apple IIe but the first one I got was DOA and I was pressured into feeling like an ungrateful person so I ended up getting a color TV which to this day I regret. Flash forward to 1995 and coming across Windows 95 for the first time. I have to admit I was kind of imtidated of Windows 95 and stepped away from it for a couple of years because I felt I was too far behind. Flash forward to 1998 and and dug in and began messing around with Windows 98 and was so blown away, I never knew computing would be so much fun. This is how I feel about Windows 7

I never really had an awful experience with Windows Vista but as many of us knew it didn't feel "complete". Enter Windows 7. I have a long way to go with learning the in's and out's with 7 but I have to admit one thing...Microsoft has made learning the OS (Operating System) fun. I have always felt that way with Apple from OS 9 to their present OS but with Windows 7 it's very cool. What's cool about it is that with 7 it's not heavy handed, beautiful GUI (Graphic User Interface). For a long time Windows for me was a OS for just work (mind you over 90% of the work machines in the workplace run Microsoft) and for me Microsoft was a system that made feel like you had to do homework where as Apple was a treat to use even for a first time user. Windows 7 makes me feel this way...can't wait to begin using my PC.

One of the major thing I love, which was in Vista, is the Search. I love the how when searching for music tracks, applications, files is so quick and so cool. You just type in the search box and there it is. (quick tip: just type in the first 3 letters of what you are looking for and that does the job).

Another cool thing they have added is the fact that you can now add a app icon straight to the toolbar. Just right-click the icon and choose, "Pin to Taskbar". You can also "Pin It" to the start menu. Before you hade to drag it to the task toolbar which was not an hassle but small things like this makes using the 7 more fun for me. Another cool thing that they have added is that you can actually arrange the icons in your taskbar which is really nice. The only thing I have to find is adding the desktop icon to my taskbar. I haven't figured that out yet so I have to hit the "Windows" button + "D" button to bring up the desktop.

One thing I dig about Windows 7 is that when you hover your mouse over the icons in the taskbar, it shows you what you have open in small windows. I noticed that it only opens all of the tabs when you have IE8 open...it will not perform this with Firefox or Chrome. Overall I I'm really digging the speed of Windows 7.

One thing I will share is that when getting a Windows machine take you time and get a machine with the dual processor and have at least 3GB of RAM in your system. I recently bought a new laptop and have a monitor connected to it and I have to admit, it looks beautiful on the laptop and the monitor and with the split screen it's even sweeter...but again it really depends on your processor, video card and I stress again for Windows 7 32Bit have 2-3GB or RAM and with the 64Bit go all the way and invest in having 4GB of RAM in the machine.

I have a list of some of the apps and utility you should install once you have all of the updates on Windows 7

a must
revo unistaller
Microsoft Security Essentials
Smart Defrag
Foxit Reader
7-Zip
Mozilla Firefox

Cool Mozilla Add-Ons
Adblock Plus
AddThis
Delicious Bookmarks
Download Statusbar
WOT
Xmarks(formally Foxmarks)



Cool Microsoft App
Windows Live Esentials

Music Apps
Media Monkey
Last.fm

Like I said before, I have plenty to learn about Windows 7 and my geek brother Luis highly recommends the book by Paul Thurrott, "Windows 7 Secrets" I will have more to share the more I learn about this wonderful OS. Microsoft, Congrats...you finally got that monkey off your back.

No comments:

Post a Comment