Sep 8, 2007

Devotion & Reflections for the Weekend


Thoughts on the Devotion: Quiet Please
from RBC Ministries

I wrote on this a while back and it's funny how when you get into the word of God how know matter how many times you read it, you get a deeper many of his passages. It's funny how now when I travel to work I have no radio on to and from because I that is my time with Him. I don't know if I'm getting it's making me appreciate the nature of quietness or I'm I mature with my walk with God but one thing is for sure, it's really peaceful.

Many times we try and not think and hear what we really need to hear about ourselves, our love ones, the purpose of our lives but we can not run away from it because we are only hurting ourselves. I know coming up when I didn't have directions I would have to turn on the radio, the television "just because"...why? Because it was automatic, it sometimes helped me cope with being alone. I'm not saying everyone does this but I know I did but one thing change that for me...

When I was younger, single, and foolish with money I kinda "forgot" to pay my light bill and coming home to an apartment with no electricity is not cool. Of course I scrambled and paid it to have it restored the following day but something happened, no television, no radio...just quietness. The first hour I was climbing the walls and I could have gotten out of there but then the quietness made me reflect on me. My accomplishments, my shortcomings, what was I truly doing with my life and to be honest, I truly needed that. To be alone with your thoughts at times is a scary thing but then you realize how important you are in the eyes of God. How much he truly loves you. How things you think are "so bad" are not so bad. You realize how your life truly has purpose, meaning and how your uniqueness has so much value. At first I used to beat myself up at that time because I thought I should be so much farther ahead in life, why I didn't have a new car by now, how I didn't own a home but that quiet time with God and myself told me,

"you're not doing so bad. you are single and doing this by yourself."

"the reason you are not ahead is because you are afraid to step out of your comfort zone."

"it takes time, it's takes discipline, you have to be a better manager over your finances."

"who are putting before Me?"

some things I have accomplished, some goals I haven't reach yet but one thing is for sure, He gives me another chance each day He breathes life into my body. I'm learning to prioritize and stick to it and it's a process and the key thing is "sticking to it" no matter what may come up because things will come up, that's just life.

One thing I have learned about God, he does not shout at us, he does not force us to live by his principles but as a loving parent, he let's you know the benefits of following his lead the consequences when we do not. I try and live by this principle, "God has giving me instructions on how to live my life but it's still my choice, but I can't get upset when I choose not to follow Him. I can't blame him, my wife, no one around me for my actions."

I love how when God explained to Adam and Eve what they could have and could not have (and mind you it just "one" tree they could not eat from and they had an entire garden to choose from) and when they did disobey and when given there excuses it was as if God just tuned them out. He didn't want to hear because His word is his bond. He did not stop blessing them but they paid a heavy price for their disobedience. I am maturing (as I said I am a work in progress and process) to know now that looking within, being still, listening and being obedient is the key to doing it God's way and to be honest, it really does make life much simpler, it helps you cope with the curve balls of life, it makes you humble, it allows you not to let things blindside you and you have a calmness about yourself that people seek.

Learning to be in a quiet place is not easy at times but it's truly worth it in the long run because you learn about yourself, you teach others in this day and time it's okay to not have your television, radio, iPod going, you can have a joyful time just being still and silent.

Be Blessed, Be Safe, and Have a Blessed Weekend.

Praying For Our Children
from Christian Embassy Church

Mercy

"Oh Father, grant that my children would be full of mercy and compassion as you are Lord."

James 5:11

No comments:

Post a Comment