Jul 22, 2007

Devotion & Reflection for Today


The older I have become the more I rely on what God says and the more I get into His word I learn that going by "feelings" or instincts sometimes will get you in a hot mess. I have learned this from past relationships especially. I joke and tell people all the time, "All of the time and money I wasted on past relationships my wife and I would be set." Do I have any regrets of past decisions...no. Some things I brought upon myself others I just did not know any better. We live and learn and one thing I have learned is that not to focus on "what could have been" but "what did I learn from this?" Many times we block our blessings where it is another job, another person that wants to come into our life because of past decisions.

One of my favorite books in the Bible is the book of Proverbs and Ecclesiastics. What King Solomon teaches me every day is that many times going by your feelings will have you making decisions on a moment notice that can give you a long term case of heartache and it may take you a while to recover. What may seem like the solution at the moment may come back and become a large issue down the road.

I guess sometimes this is what I want to get across to the next generation. I am not old but I'm not in my 20s anymore and at this age you are finding yourself, learning the ropes so to speak but many decisions you can learn from people ahead of you. Even though I have made decisions that "burned" me most things I have learned from watching other people and I chose not to go down that path. It also helped that I had a praying mother as well. I have learned that instinct are only as good as what and who has helped you fine tuned that gift and the best teach is Christ Jesus. I have to save this devotion as a favorite because I truly believe this because of this what I have been through times in my life and when you start your day with God's word in your heart it makes my day more manageable. One key piece of this devotion rings so true...

"When you are blinded by life’s disappointments, don’t trust your instincts. Flying by the seat of your pants in the storms of life can lead to despair, confusion, and vengeful responses that make matters worse."
~from "Instincts" by Joe Stowell(today's devotion)

I'm learning that when things have been turned upside down in my life, I have to step back and get alone with God even if it's just for a moment to seek His wisdom. I am learning that when a critical decision has to be made not let anyone and I do mean ANYONE pressure me into giving them a answer right there and then because many times it is in their best interest not mine. It's okay sometimes to be a young fool but don't be an old fool, it takes you much longer to recover your losses. True we need listen to wise people but I learning that our close friends mean well but in the end you are in that situation not them and it's best to consult God first and if what they line up with what He says that is confirmation to pursue that solution. From the devotion God is our "instrument panel" when it comes to flying through life. I love what my pastor has said over the years that the bumper sticker, "God is my co-pilot" is totally off base and this is why we crash and burn many times. We want to do it our way and when things blow up then we run to God and by that time it's too late.

This question was posed to me years back and I never forgot it,

"What's the difference between a clever man and wise man?" My friend ask me this question, told me to think about it and give him the answer in a about 5-10 minutes. I thought about it and when he brought it up again he wanted my answer. I gave it to him and he said it was pretty close but the answer is this...

"A clever man can get himself into situation and can get himself out of that mess, but a wise man never allows himself to get in that situation in the first place."

Good answer....I'm praying and making that choice every day to strive and be that wise man.

"Train a child in the way he should go,
and when he is old he will not turn from it."

~Proverbs 22:6

No comments:

Post a Comment