Jul 28, 2007

Beginning To Learn The True Meaning of the Word "Awesome"


The devotion from this morning has me thinking and thinking hard, what is really awesome. I myself have used this word to describe different things. I know I have used this word to describe the web, tech gadgets. I have used this word to describe places I have visited, (Ruby Falls and Lookout Mountain in Chattanooga, Tennessee comes to mind) but what may be awesome to me maybe mediocre to someone else.

The older I get I am beginning to use words very carefully. I have always tried to watch what I say because I try to think ahead because as one very mature Christian gentlemen told me before I was married, "Choose your words carefully because once they come out of your mouth you can't pull them back in." I try and take the wisdom to heart each and every day. I am beginning to realize the when thinking of the goodness, the patience, the intelligence of my Lord and Savior you can not describe God any other way but awesome.
  • To know that even before creating Adam and Eve you were going to have to send your Son to take our place on the cross because you knew that by giving us free will we were going to fall from your grace is awesome.
  • To be so forgiving toward me and sustain my life for some 42 years is awesome. Most black men in this day and age hope and pray they make it past the age of 25.
  • To know that I would be brought up in church, fall by the wayside and walk away from You and find my way back to You after 15 years and not turn me over to Satan while out in the "streets" is awesome.
  • To keep loving me even when I cursed Your name time and time again before coming back to You is awesome.
So many other things when I sit back and just think of His grace, His mercy is truly remarkable. Last night as I was driving home I looked up at the sky and saw a beautiful full moon and I got to thinking how God positions the planets in our solar system. If the moon were to be position just slightly from the earth that would devastate life here on Earth. How God has tilted the Earth and the Earth's distance from the Sun and how the speed of the rotation around the sun gives us our days, our seasons is truly awesome. I can't even fathom that God knows my moves before I do, to know that when make an mistake He is there to let me know He forgives me and to keep moving forward and to love me "just because" is truly awesome.

I may use the word awesome for some things but the older I grow the more I'm learning what the word "awesome" truly means. Waking up and being able to give thanks to Him one more day is awesome.

Be Blessed, Be Safe, and Have a Wonderful Weekend.


"He who conceals his sins does not prosper,
but whoever confesses and renounces them finds mercy."

~proverbs 28:13

*If you get a chance this weekend check out these very insightful messages on Pride and Envy.

No comments:

Post a Comment