Jan 21, 2010

Reflection's on Today's Devotion


Today's Devotion: A Mutual Friend
Today's Passage: John 15:9-17

My wife sometime feels social networks like Facebook, Craig's List, Twitter are bad things but I say to her time and time again, "The social networks on the web are just like anything else, it's who hands it's in and how they are using them, that's the problem. Although a couple of years ago with the misuse of MySpace by a mother who pretended to make friends with a young girl and then tear her down resulted in the suicide of the young lady was a terrible thing again falls into the category of "the user" and not the site.

How did this tie in to my reflection for this devotion? Easy...connections

Many people feel that with today's technology with the World Wide Web (I know, I'm ol' school) people feel we are more in front of the computer than connecting with "real" people. Sometimes that can happen but what I have grown to learn is that by connecting with people from different places in the US and around the world via Facebook, Twitter, and other social networks I have now made connection with people that I would have never met and that is a very cool thing. Once I begin traveling I have connection from New York to California. These people can not only tell me and my wife where to go but also places to avoid.

True, you have to careful of who you meet on the web because there are scammers but for me what makes it so different is this, putting Christ Jesus first.

When you put Christ first in your life, study his Word, follow the Holy Spirit, He places people in your life with your same love of Him and love of life and the most important characteristic, people who loves themselves. When you connect with a person who loves themselves they treat you the way they wish to be treated. They are patient with you, they do not pass judgement. Is this person perfect? Of course not because we all have shortcomings but you look pass that because that is how friendships grow.

And look around now, many Christian organization are using these wonderful social networks because they are now realizing that you have to connect with young people a whole new way because this is where they are, on the web. We have to go where they are and when they see the older generation is trying to reach out to them and not writing them off and being negative of this new way of communication they will not only connect with their my generation but will connect with their peers showing them that people that are Followers of Christ are truly genuine people because trust me, the youth want to connect with people that are real, not perfect.

What Christ Jesus also tells you is who not to encounter because again Christ will never put His children in harms way as long as you obey the Holy Spirit and know Christ because one thing I have learned now that I'm older is that many times you lead not by your heart because feelings can sometime get you into trouble but I do know that when you turn your heart over to God's Son he gives you a heart of gold but wisdom for the streets so you will not fall into the pitfalls of life. You may pass through tough times because we live in a fallen world but Christ gives you the strength, the knowledge to get through tough times and tough situations.

When you connect with Christ Jesus with all your heart He connects you with people that are good to you and good for you.

photo: J.schobre
InterfaceLIFT.com

No comments:

Post a Comment